Applying from Outside the U.S.

For anyone who needs a student visa (F1 visa) to enter the US: UNC Charlotte can issue the I-20 form (Certificate of Eligibility for student visa) which is necessary to apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for a student visa.  Generally, you should apply 2-3 months before your start date to have time to get acceptance, get a student visa, and arrange transportation to Charlotte. To join ELTI using a student visa with an I-20 showing that you will study English, complete the following items:

  • Fill out the online ELTI application form here.  You will receive an automatic reply once you have successfully submitted the application.  If you have difficulty completing the online application, contact us at
  • Send official bank documents showing that a balance of $24,000.00 or more is available.  These are the total estimated expenses for an academic year of study, to include tuition, fees, insurance, books, housing and meals, and incidentals. This is our best estimates of costs per student, and this is what you should be prepared to spend for one academic year all-inclusive. The visa officer will want to see proof that you can afford to pay this amount. Proof of financial ability is required by the U.S. government for student visa applications. (Keep a copy of your official bank documents and letters of sponsorship to show Embassy or consulate officials. Financial ability to pay is one of the most important factors in getting a student visa.)
    • If your family will come with you, an additional $6,000.00 per spouse and $3,600 per child will be necessary. Only spouses and children (age 21 and under) are allowed to be dependents on the student visa.
  • If the financial documents do not show your name on them, send a personal sponsor letter:  The letter should give the name of the person who is giving the financial sponsorship and your name, the sponsor’s relationship to you,  and state that he or she understands that the person is willing to use the money for your education.
  • Send a copy of the personal information page from your passport. If you do not have a passport yet, please be sure that you spell your name and enter your other information correctly!
  • Pay the $60 application fee (non-refundable). Use our online payment website for the quickest processing. Do not send credit card information by email or fax. You can also pay by check or money order drawn from a US-based bank (in dollars) made out to UNC Charlotte. If you want to your acceptance packet sent to an address outside the US, please pay an additional $80. We will send the acceptance packet through express mail and you will receive online tracking information upon shipment. Without paying for this service, your acceptance packet will be sent by regular mail. We have no way to track such shipments. Pay this fee using the same online payment website.

All documents can be sent by e-mail to We do not need originals, but you will need them for your visa appointment. Please send your application materials as early as possible before the term you wish to begin. If you are accepted, ELTI will send your acceptance information and the Certificate of Eligibility (I-20), which will allow you to apply for a student visa (F-1) at a United States Consulate or Embassy. Applications will not be considered complete until all documents and payments have been completed.